What is the WorkSpaces service?
UPDATE: As of July 2021, the Robertson Library is closing WorkSpaces (Pydio). The software that supports this service is no longer receiving updates from the organization. Please check your UPEI email or look below for instructions on how to move your files/data to Microsoft OneDrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What will happen to my data in Workspaces (Pydio)?
- Your data/files will need to be moved to another file management software system. Once option available through UPEI is Microsoft OneDrive hosted by ITSS. There are other commercial options available, such as Sync (Candian company) or Dropbox (US company), but fees may apply.
- Do you have instructions for moving my data/files from Pydio to Microsoft OneDrive?
- Here are instructions for completing that process:
- Where do I access Microsoft OneDrive online?
- Log in to https://www.office.com/ with your UPEI credentials. Look at the icons in the left side menu of the website. Click on the cloud icon for OneDrive. This will open a new tab for accessing your OneDrive accout online.
Does OneDrive have a desktop client I can download?
Yes, there is a desktop client. If you have Windows 10, it may already be downloaded onto your computer. If not, it can be downloaded at https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/microsoft-365/onedrive/download
- Where are the servers for OneDrive located?
- The servers are located in Canada. For more information, contact UPEI's ITSS Help Desk at 902-560465
- Can I still publish or archive data on data.upei.ca?
- Yes. Instructions for completing this archive or publish process will be available soon.
WorkSpaces utilizes an open source file sharing platform called Pydio and is locally hosted and managed at the University of Prince Edward Island. It provides 10Gb of secure storage space for researchers to manage and selectively share their active research data files. Researchers can request additional storage space depending on their requirement.
What can you do with the WorkSpaces service?
- Create a UPEI managed and backed up data workspace, similar to, but more secure than, a Dropbox account. Your data is also stored on servers at UPEI, so issues of privacy and security are addressed.
- Synchronize data on your desktop with your WorkSpaces, so you only need to organize your data for all your Projects in one place, but be secure in knowing that it is backed up and managed effectively.
- Create additional WorkSpaces for your research group or projects.
- Collaborate with colleagues off campus by sharing your WorkSpaces before the data is published